America Cover Bob Dylan, Buffalo Springfield, More on New Album
The band America is coming out with a new album of cover tunes called 'Back Pages' on July 26. The disc features the group offering renditions of songs by Bob Dylan, Buffalo Springfield, Simon & Garfunkel, the Beach Boys, the Zombies and other acts.
America, famous for their hits 'A Horse With No Name' and 'Venture Highway,' are led by original members Dewey Bunnell and Gerry Beckley. The pair were happy to record some of their favorite songs by other musicians.
"After 40 years of singing mostly self-penned songs, I liked the idea of singing some of those that got me interested in the first place," says Bunnell in a press release. Adds Beckley, "We'd always thought about the idea and finally the stars aligned."
Brian Wilson is particularly happy with America's cover of the Beach Boys' 'Caroline No.' He calls it "an absolutely stunning version," adding, "I almost got tears."
In addition to covers of songs by the aforementioned classic artists, 'Back Pages' also includes America's renditions of tunes by newer acts like Fountains of Wayne and Gin Blossoms.
America have dozens of 2011 North American tour dates scheduled through the fall, along with a few in 2012. Click here for the group's full itinerary
America, 'Back Pages' - Full Track List (with original artist noted)
1. 'America' (Simon & Garfunkel)
2. 'A Road Song' (Fountains of Wayne)
3. 'Woodstock' (Joni Mitchell)
4. 'Caroline No' (Beach Boys)
5. 'Someday We'll Know' (New Radicals)
6. 'Sailing to Philadelphia' (Mark Knopfler)
7. 'Crying in My Sleep' (Jimmy Webb; Art Garfunkel)
8. 'Time of the Season' (The Zombies)
9. 'Something in the Way She Moves' (James Taylor)
10. 'On the Way Home' (Buffalo Springfield)
11. 'Til I Hear It From You' (Gin Blossoms )
12. 'My Back Pages' (Bob Dylan)
Watch America Perform 'A Horse With No Name'