The death of Steve Peregrin Took perhaps is the most bizarre of all. He played guitar for T. Rex for a few years in the early 70s, and by the early '80s was receiving long overdue royalty checks from his work with the band.
One night in October 1980, flush with cash from a recent payment, Took acquired a collection of booze and drugs with his roommate. The following morning his body was found; he had reportedly choked to death on a cocktail onion. The official cause of death was ruled "death by drug misadventure."