The Kinks’ Best Collected on Two-Disc Compilation
The Kinks once sang 'You Really Got Me,' but do you really have all the best music from the band? If not, then the upcoming two-disc hits compilation 'Waterloo Sunset: The Very Best of the Kinks and Ray Davies' is definitely for you.
The collection covers the six-decade career of both the band and their lead singer and features such standouts as 'You Really Got Me,' 'Tired of Waiting for You,' 'All Day and All of the Night,' 'Lola,' and 'Come Dancing' amongst others.
Vintage Vinyl News reports the first disc is primarily dedicated to the Kinks, focusing primarily on their biggest songs and classic album tracks. The second disc consists of songs personally selected by Davies from the band's catalog that have ties to their London roots.
In total, the Kinks enjoyed five Top 10 singles on the Billboard U.S. chart, and nine of their studio albums charted in the Top 40. Four of their studio albums have been certified gold (500,000 copies sold) by the RIAA, and the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990, their first year of eligibility.
Though Ray Davies and brother Dave had their share of tensions over the years, their last public appearance took place in 1996, with the band assembling for Dave's 50th birthday and parting on good terms.
There's been talk of reunions over the years, but just last fall Dave Davies squashed the idea, stating, "I love my brother. I just can't stand to be with him."
Look for 'Waterloo Sunset: The Very Best of the Kinks and Ray Davies' available Aug. 13 in the U.K. and Aug. 21 in the U.S. via import at Amazon.
'Waterloo Sunset: The Very Best of the Kinks and Ray Davies' Track Listing:
1. 'Waterloo Sunset'
2. 'You Really Got Me'
3. 'Tired of Waiting for You'
4. 'Sunny Afternoon'
5. 'All Day and All of the Night'
6. 'Till the End of the Day'
7. 'Autumn Almanac'
10. 'Set Me Free'
11. 'See My Friends' (Ray Davies and the Crouch End Festival Chorus)
12. 'Death of a Clown'
14. 'Dead End Street'
15. 'This Time Tomorrow'
17. 'You Wouldn't Know My Name'
19. 'Plastic Man'
20. 'Supersonic Rocket Ship
21. 'Better Things'
22. 'Don't Forget to Dance'
23. 'David Watts'
1. 'Dedicated Follower of Fashion'
2. 'Come Dancing'
3. 'Where Have All the Good Times Gone'
5. 'Big Black Smoke'
6. 'Yours Truly, Confused N10' (Ray Davies With Jools Holland)
7. 'Working Man's Café' (Ray Davies)
8. 'London Song' (Ray Davies)
9. 'Fortis Green' (Dave Davies)
10. 'Postcard From London' (Ray Davies, Chrissie Hynde, and the Crouch End Festival Chorus)
11. 'Muswell Hillbilly'
12. 'Denmark Street'
13. 'Berkeley Mews'
14. 'Holloway Jail'
15. 'Lavender Hill'
16. 'Willesden Green'
17. 'Life on the Road'
18. 'End of the Season'
19. 'Next Door Neighbour' (Ray Davies)
20. 'Did Ya'
21. 'Most Exclusive Residence for Sale'
22. 'Waterloo Sunset' (Ray Davies and the Crouch End Festival Chorus)