Iron Maiden’s ‘The Number Of The Beast’ Voted Best British Album Of The Last 60 Years
To celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, HMV conducted a public vote for the top British album of the last 60 years. Heading up the list was none other than Iron Maiden with their 1982 classic 'The Number Of The Beast.'
Toppling such giants as the Beatles, Queen and Pink Floyd, Maiden took almost ten percent of all votes cast. Singer Bruce Dickinson was beaming with pride at the results: "We're astonished and delighted to hear 'The Number of the Beast' has been named Number One. Some of the most influential and classic albums from the past 60 years were in the running so it’s a testament to our incredibly loyal and ever-supportive fans who voted for us."
The Beatles did place a total of four LP's in the top ten, with Pink Floyd, Oasis, Queen, Depeche Mode and Adele making up the rest of the list. Classic albums by Led Zeppelin, the Clash, Black Sabbath, David Bowie and the Smiths all found a home in the top twenty, but such legends as the Who, Sex Pistols and the Rolling Stones all failed to reach the upper regions of the list. You can see the top 20 below.
"Iron Maiden is a proudly British band," added Dickinson, "so to win this category as voted for by the British public, in Jubilee year, is very special. Thank you to all our wonderful fans!"
(Editor's note: As you can see from the attached picture, the number of the beast showed twice on our Facebook page today as we passed a major, evil milestone. We also published our 4,000th story today and celebrated our 1st birthday two weeks ago. Thank you all so much for your continued support!)
The HMV 20 Best British Albums of the Last 60 Years:
1. Iron Maiden – 'The Number Of The Beast'
2. Depeche Mode – 'Violator'
3. The Beatles – 'Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'
4. The Beatles – 'Abbey Road'
5. Pink Floyd – 'The Dark Side Of The Moon'
6. The Beatles – 'Revolver'
7. Queen - 'A Night At The Opera'
8. Oasis – '(What’s the Story) Morning Glory?'
9. Adele - 21'
10. The Beatles – 'White Album'
11. Led Zeppelin - 'IV'
12. The Beatles - 'Rubber Soul'
13. The Clash - 'London Calling'
14. David Bowie - 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars'
15. The Smiths - 'The Queen is Dead'
16. Black Sabbath - 'Black Sabbath'
17. Radiohead - 'OK Computer'
18. Pink Floyd - 'Wish You Were Here'
19. Elton John - 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'
20. Oasis - 'Definitely Maybe'